Join us for the ultimate Alaska tour on Juneau’s BEST combination tour. Be one of the few to walk on and explore the Mendenhall Glacier!
- Adult Ages 18+
- Minor Ages 12-17
EXPLORE THE MENDENHALL GLACIER LAKE BY CANOE!
Our professional guide leads you into exploring the serenity of the Tongass National Forest towards the Mendenhall Glacier. Voyage past steep cliffs, waterfalls, and icebergs while keeping your eyes peeled for wildlife in route to getting face to face with the glacier.
Your adventure begins in front of your cruise ship, where you meet your professional guide. Step away from the crowds with narrated transportation to a remote part of the Tongass National Forest to get your first views of the breathtaking, ever-changing Mendenhall Glacier. One of the most accessible glaciers in North America, the Mendenhall Glacier is located just 12 miles from downtown Juneau. The 13-mile-long river of ice, which ends on the far side of Mendenhall Lake, is one of Alaska’s gems. A half-mile wide with ice up to 1,800-ft. deep, it’s no surprise that Mendenhall is the most visited glacier in all of Alaska.
Once suited up in our top quality gear along with a quick paddle lesson, hop in the canoe and launch across the Mendenhall Lake. With the instruction of your guide, you will glide across the lake en route to the toe of the Mendenhall Glacier. Keep an eye on the cliffs decorated with nests of Arctic terns, a giant waterfall, and wildlife while voyaging along beautiful blue icebergs. You will come as close as possible to the face of the Mendenhall Glacier and be rewarded with front-row views of the “ice falls,” where miles of glacier ice flow steeply over the mountainside, and continue down to melt into the lake in front of you. Your guide will steer the canoe to the best viewpoints of the glacier’s towering blue crevasses and ice seracs.
Upon returning from your adventure on the lake, you’re welcomed by a hot beverage as you de-gear from your equipment. After a short drive back to the cruise ship docks, your adventure with us ends, but hopefully with memories that will last a lifetime.
- Alaskan Wilderness is best seen in a small group with a maximum of 10 guests.
- You will be equipped with our top quality gear to ensure your comfort and safety.
- Each guest is provided a dry bag to be used to store personal belongings while canoeing.
- Round-trip transportation from the cruise ship terminal
- Bottled water, snacks, and a hot beverage
- Gear/equipment: Rain jacket, rain pants, Xtratuf rain boots, paddling gloves, and a dry bag for personal items.
- Minimum age: 12 years old
- Minimum weight: 90 lbs.
- Maximum weight: 240 lbs.
- Not recommended for guests with back, shoulder or hip problems
- Pregnant guests are not permitted on this tour
- Full use of limbs for up to two hours of canoeing
- Signed liability waiver
TOUR TIMES BELOW ARE APPROXIMATE
- 30-minute transport to the glacier launch site
- 15-minute equipment and safety briefing
- 2 hours of canoe paddling
- 15-minute equipment unload and hot beverage
- 30-minute transport back to the cruise ship terminal